[asterisk-scf-committee] Asterisk SCF 1.0 Feature List, and progress towards it

Andrew Latham lathama at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 14:52:24 CDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming at digium.com> wrote:
> On 09/08/2011 10:19 PM, Marc Blanchet wrote:
>>
>> Le 2011-09-09 à 11:17, Benjamin Oldenburg a écrit :
>>
>>> Hello Marc,
>>>
>>> I agree about the necessity of a "1-2-3-go" installation procedure and I
>>> have therefore offered to create a tutorial.
>>
>> great, but to me, it is not a tutorial that is need, it is a script that
>> does everything for you.
>
> Well, I'm not sure we want to use a script for that. I think we're going to
> have two options: a completely documented step-by-step tutorial on the wiki
> based on building from source, and a set of binary packages for some common
> Linux distros that let you just install the packages and move on.
>
> The build-from-source method will be preferable for people who want to dive
> in to the code itself, for everyone else, binary packages would suffice. My
> concern with scripts is that they can't anticipate every possible thing that
> could go wrong, and if something does go wrong, the user isn't in a position
> to try to figure it out because they just 'ran the script'... they don't
> really understand what it is doing.
>
> --
> Kevin P. Fleming
> Digium, Inc. | Director of Software Technologies
> Jabber: kfleming at digium.com | SIP: kpfleming at digium.com | Skype: kpfleming
> Check us out at www.digium.com & www.asterisk.org

Agree 100%, scripts in the form of howtos like a guided wiki page are
great for training.  I am setting up some testing in multiple UML
systems in my spare time now.  I think the documentation goals are the
Steering Committee's responsibility and the end user help goes
elsewhere. I understood that the Steering Committee meant that I take
off my end user hat and put on my planning hat.

Guided wiki page = Great :)
Unconfigured or basic packages = Great! :)
Shell script that only works for one or a few distros/versions = bad :(

--
~ Andrew "lathama" Latham lathama at gmail.com http://lathama.net ~