[asterisk-r2] Only one channel IDLE, the others are BLOCK

Christian Cabrera ccabrera at gmail.com
Thu May 9 13:51:06 CDT 2013

Hello,

Recently, the E1 of one of my clients stopped "almost" working. They have a
10 channel E1 with R2, but only the first channel appears as IDLE, while
the remaining stay at BLOCK.

Here's what the mfcr2 show channels throws:

Chan Variant Max ANI Max DNIS ANI First Immediate Accept Tx CAS   Rx CAS
   1 MX      10      4        No        No               IDLE     IDLE
   2 MX      10      4        No        No               IDLE     BLOCK
   3 MX      10      4        No        No               IDLE     BLOCK
   4 MX      10      4        No        No               IDLE     BLOCK
   5 MX      10      4        No        No               IDLE     BLOCK
   6 MX      10      4        No        No               IDLE     BLOCK
   7 MX      10      4        No        No               IDLE     BLOCK
   8 MX      10      4        No        No               IDLE     BLOCK
   9 MX      10      4        No        No               IDLE     BLOCK
  10 MX      10      4        No        No               IDLE     BLOCK

The configuration is as usual. Here's my system.conf:

span=1,1,0,cas,hdb3
cas=1-15:1101
cas=17-31:1101
echocanceller=mg2,1-15,17-31

loadzone        = mx
defaultzone     = mx

And here's my chan_dahdi.conf

signalling=mfcr2
mfcr2_variant=mx
mfcr2_get_ani_first=no
mfcr2_max_ani=10
mfcr2_max_dnis=4
mfcr2_category=national_subscriber
mfcr2_mfback_timeout=-1
mfcr2_metering_pulse_timeout=-1
mfcr2_forced_release=no
context=from-pstn
group=0

mfcr2_logdir=span1
mfcr2_call_files=yes
mfcr2_logging=all
channel => 1-10

Unless I just got blind, everything is by the book (and this setup was
working fine). These are the specifics of the system:

OpenR2 1.3.2
Asterisk 1.8.21.0
Digium Wildcard TE121
Carrier: Telmex (México)
CentOS 6.4 (just recently did yum -y upgrade so everything is the most
recent version as of today)

Apart from checking the config files again and again, this is what I also
tried:

- Plugging/unplugging the cable
- Rebooting
- Switching the card from PCIe slot

As you can imagine, Telmex says "its fine from my side". Since everything
started to malfunction with no users involved, my guts tell me its them,
not us. How can I prove it with a Digium card? I know the commands from
Sangoma for wanpipe debugging, but this cards are not my strongest point
when it comes to debugging.

Any ideas? Any commands I can execute to mail Telmex and prove whose fault
is this?

Regards,