[asterisk-ha-clustering] Architecture Suggestion for a 150, 000 calls per hour capable, HA solution

Matt Riddell matt at venturevoip.com
Thu Aug 19 20:11:57 CDT 2010

On 20/08/10 5:10 AM, Grygoriy Dobrovolskyy wrote:

> 2010/8/19 Mamadou Lamine KA <lamineka at groupechaka.com
> <mailto:lamineka at groupechaka.com>>
>
>     Hello all,
>
>     I need to setup a voicemail system for a telco that will handle up
>     to 150,000 calls per hour with 3,000,000 to 3,500,000 users.
>
>     It will be the first time for me to design such a plateforme. So I
>     need your advices about dimensioning and architecture for high
>     availability system.
>
>     - Did you ever experience running asterisk with such level of traffics?
>
> Hello, dont use asterisk for that, you need opensips or kamalio, its an
> sip proxy capable of handling  lots of users and calls with loadbalancing.

Except that he's looking to set up a voicemail system rather than a
phone call platform.

Basically, you could use Asterisk, but if you're only using one feature
it may be excessive.

You're basically looking at around 42 calls per second, which isn't a
super huge number.

The number of users is likely to create a bit of a problem unless you're
able to spread them across multiple instances.

If you could, and had lots of servers, (with Kamalio etc in front
distributing as Grygoriy mentioned) then it's likely to be not too much
effort.

Are you really going to be doing it with Analogue line cards though?

Surely SIP or something would be easier?

If you are using line cards then Kamailio etc won't help.

If we say that the average call lasts say 2 minutes (120 seconds) then
you would have 42 calls per second multiplied by 120 (length of call)
equals 5040 concurrent calls.

If you are using primary rate E1 cards with say 120 channels per box,
you'd be looking at 42 boxes :)  Lol the numbers keep repeating :D

Obviously if you wanted to go to two quad span primary rate cards per
box you'd be looking at 21 servers (although both of these numbers leave
no room for redundancy).

If you're running 42 boxes, you're definitely going be having some
failures, which means that you'd better have some system to distribute
the file system etc and have hot swap servers available to fill the void
if others die.

--
Cheers,

Matt Riddell