[asterisk-ha-clustering] New HA setup

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Nov 4 04:24:31 CST 2009

3 nov 2009 kl. 21.45 skrev Saúl Ibarra:

>> Ok, nice to know; so you went with one Asterisk per customer.
>> May I ask why you set it up like this? Protection, mainly?
>>

> Security, obscurity and adaptability. If one asterisk fails one
> customer is angry. If one multi-customer asterisk fails, lots of
> customers get angry. ;)

On the other hand, it's harder to build a scalable solution that
way... There's no reason why we could not have another Asterisk
standing by when one fails. The issue here is that calls would go down
and states would be lost for blinking lamps. That will always happen
(unless someone magically adds the needed code to handle that).

There are architecture problems that we haven't solved in Asterisk
today in regards to multi-hosting. There's a lack of segmentation of
Asterisk that could prevent overlaps. I've been doing a few things,
like multiparking and SIP domains that are steps toward a solution.
Tilghman has some extra headers for AMI in testing and we've discussed
how to use that for more segmentation by applying event filters to
those headers. Next step would be to be able to restrict access for
orignate-like actions in manager by applying contexts to each manager
account.

The settings in feature.conf are also pbx-wide, which might be a
problem. There are propably a lot more issues that I don't see right
now.

So there are a lot of reasons why you want a single PBX per customer
today. Hopefully someone will fund work so that we can support at
least 50% of the cases in a large PBX with failover, and have the rest
that are advanced users using their own. That would be very beneficial
for all of us.

There's also some interesting development in the SIP proxy arena
(OpenSIP/kamailio/sip-router/ser/openser group) that may lead to new
architectures for the 50% of the customers.

/O