[asterisk-ha-clustering] New HA setup

Frederic Jean makafre at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 09:44:08 CST 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net> wrote:

> 3 nov 2009 kl. 15.42 skrev Frederic Jean:
>

> > It all depends on your application. Running a SIP-PSTN gateway service
> > for consumers is one thing, running a hosted PBX is completely
> > different and requires a different setup.
> >

> > It is actually for hosting several companies' PBXs on one platform,
> > this including
> > voicemail, etc, and video in a near future.
> Asterisk doesn't support "etc" :-)

Oh, but it seems it makes use of it as in /etc/asterisk  ;- )  lol

> The video support is really poor. You want to have another strategy
> and architecture for that. I don't see any work on improving video
> support in trunk, which means that if the community or Digium doesn't
> fund the needed work quickly, we'll end up with Asterisk 1.8 lacking
> good video support too. It doesn't feel good, since I had a branch
> with better video support, not perfect but much much better, prior to
> 1.4 release.

Yes you are right, I saw some issues like codec negotiation.

> Hosting multiple companies PBX's on one platform involves a lot of
> issues that affects the design. Are you going to allow customers to
> connect over manager? Are you going to deliver call parking, blinking
> lamps, call queues? Manager doesn't allow for filtering of events and
> doesn't offer good protection either.  There's a lot we can do in
> Asterisk to better support hosting. With the current development on
> virtualisation, a lot of companies end up running one Asterisk per
> customer for reasons like the ones I listed. The problem is that you
> end up having to manager one Asterisk per customer... Painful and
> costly.

No, effectively, no manager will be used. Indeed, it would be nice to have
more flexibility on customer management; Nortel as such thing with its
CS1000E and even Aheeva with their asterisk based call-center software,
implemented it up to a certain point, in terms of extensions (agents) and
such.
They however bypass the manager.

By the way, are there any serious bads against virtual machines for such a
setup?
(mysql, asterisk, openser)