[asterisk-ha-clustering] New setup

Grygoriy Dobrovolskyy megahohol at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 02:58:41 CDT 2009

2009/4/16 David Ruggles <david at safedatausa.com>

>  well it's a small office with 40 - 50 sip extensions. Most of the users
> have both a hard phone and a soft phone which is why there are so many sip
> extensions. There are only about 15 users and a few other misc extensions
> for phones in public areas. PRI access is via IAX to another asterisk server
> that contains all the PRI hardware. There is a 4port Sangoma Analog card in
> the PBX for a few local lines. I am planning on putting a second Sangoma
> card in the other server for redundancy, but the physical analog connection
> doesn't have to be automatically switched over on failure.
>
> Does this answer the questions? Is there anything else you need to know?

I think heartbeat will suit you fine. The advantage of heartbeat in your
case that asterisk is not running on spare, so no trunks get confused by
double registering. Heartbeat permit to share one vertual address and pass
it from one server to another. Also i would recommend to use spare ethernet
interface/com port for "beats" So that 2 * get directly connected. Second
thing which is important, use watchdog to monitor the asterisk pid, if no
process > reboot. Of course you get the problem with voicemail, but you need
to just syncronize folders. Also forgot to mention that heartbeat has one
interesting feature as "autofallback= on|off" If set to on when primary
server come back he will retake his "resources" (*) if set to no, when he is
ready he will wait till the second server fail. I prefer to use with = no,
but its just me. Also do not forget to reduce the time of registering to 60
sek or so. I hope i helped.