[asterisk-gui] Asterisk-GUI installation results in 404

Richard Brady rnbrady at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 22:07:23 CDT 2011

Hi folks

I wanted to share my experience installing asterisk-gui 2.0 alongside
Asterisk 1.2.9 on Ubuntu 11.04.

I followed the instructions but on trying to visit the page I received a 404
Not Found.

In trying to troubleshoot this I was surprised to note that the http.conf
file does not specify bindings between URLs and local paths. This turned out
to be the root cause of my problem, as it appears the Asterisk webserver is
hard-wired (in my system at least) to look for content in

  /usr/share/asterisk/static-http

whereas in this case it was actually installed by the asterisk-gui Makefile
to:

  /var/lib/asterisk/static-http

Creating a symlink from the former to the latter resolved the issue for me
but left me wondering if this is an issue in:

- the Ubuntu package for Asterisk 1.6
- the Asterisk websever
- the asterisk-gui installer
- the general functionality whereby URL to path bindings are not explicit

If I can help by documenting the issue or raising an appropriate issue,
please advise.

Regards,
Richard

--