[asterisk-gui] Trunks/Service Providers

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Tue Oct 14 05:48:45 CDT 2008

In article <012101c92dc2$7c408bc0$74c1a340$@com>,
Trevor Benson <tbenson at a-1networks.com> wrote:
> So don't do service provider, just trunk, and don't use username or
> password, just IP? That will disable registration and just build a 'guest'
> trunk?  Or am I totally mixed up?

I'm not very familiar with the features provided by the gui, so I'm just
thinking in terms of the underlying config file architecture. But I think
you are right in that you just do trunk, not service provider.

You still need to have user names, because that is how the calling end
specifies which section of the called end's iax.conf will be used: [user]

So if you initiate a call to IAX/foo/12345, that will use the section
called [foo] in the calling system's iax.conf:

[foo]
type=peer
host=11.22.33.44
username=bar
secret=barpw
peercontext=barcon

In the called system's iax.conf it will need:

[bar]
type=user
secret=barpw
context=barcon
deny=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
allow=55.66.77.88

Where 11.22.33.44 is the called system's IP and 55.66.77.88 is the calling
system's IP. The call will then be routed to extension 12345 in the
context [barcon] in the called system's dialplan.

As far as I know, the called end's "context=barcon" doesn't remove the need
for "peercontext=barcon" at the calling end, but rather just adds barcon
to the list of permitted contexts. (anyone else feel free to correct!)

Cheers
Tony

Tony Mountifield