[asterisk-gui] asterisk gui and callerid in trunk definition

Ron Byer Jr. ronb at netweave.com
Wed Aug 20 12:01:59 CDT 2008

I've got some interesting things going on with inbound cid which I thought I
would share with the list.

Environment:

Running astgui-2.0 (painless upgrade a couple of weeks ago from 2241).  Some
of this might be vestigial to 2241 and was carried forward.

The original problem

===============

Was receiving calls via custom-trunk provider, CALLERID was being sent
correctly in SIP INVITE, but showed up as "Right_name <Wrong_number>"

Reviewed various CallerID settings in asterisk-gui, and found them all to be
blank. Help text all indicated that these were for outbound callerid
purposes in any event.

I then found by inspecting users.conf, the trunk definition for this trunk
had a "callerid=1234567890" field. This was the value that was incoming in
the "Wrong_number", and it was also the DID.

I don't even recall setting that value in the trunk definition, but I might
have and then removed it. In any event it was still in the trunk definition,
but wasn't appearing in the gui.

(This might have been done originally in the Gui V1 r2241, and then was just
baggage forward.

I still thought that this was an outbound callerid issue only, so I almost
ignored it. However I found that the sip.conf definition for callerid
(which, I presumed is a close cousin to the definition in the users.conf sip
definition), has a distinct effect on inbound callerid, and indeed, was
exactly the problem I was experiencing.

So I commented out the callerid= field.

The next problem

======

After commenting out the callerid and reloading, the new callerid I received
was "NEW USER <Right_Number>". I grepped around and found the definition of
fullusername at the top of the users.conf file:

[general]

;

; Full name of a user

;

;fullname = New User

userbase = 100

I looked around briefly in the gui to find out where that it set and didn't
find it. So I commented it out also.

The result is inbound callerid is "Right_name <Right_Number>"

So, I guess the questions are:

-          should the callerid field in the trunk definition have shown up
in the callerid field on the trunk def screen.

-          If so, should the callerid help text reference the effect on
inbound callerid

-          If not, then how did it get set in the first place

-          How/what/why is the fullerusername set and used.

Hope this tale of adventure helps {some-one}. I've still got to figure out
how the callerid got set in the first place. That might or might not be
possible.

Regards,

Ron Byer Jr.

NetWeave Integrated Solutions, Inc.