[asterisk-gui] Graphs

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sun Apr 29 09:17:49 MST 2007

On Sunday 29 April 2007 10:52 am, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> What about the list of processes? What about file listing? They provide
> useful information about the AADK as well.
>
> Next is the disk usage, because you wouldn't want the partitions to get
> filled up.
>
> What about information from hardware monitors? ("lm_sensors")?
>
> How about listing the users on the system (getent passwd)?
>
> How about disaplying the log files? Don't they provide useful
> information?
>
> Where exactly do you need the CPU data? Only in the web interface? If
> so: use a decent web server with CGI support, and the information will
> be easily available.
>
> You can also choose to provide such information through SNMP or whatever.

So basically you're against it because it's a slippery slope of where to stop?
Put the capability there and cut things out as you find they're not useful.
Hell that is how the entire Asterisk development goes, so I'm a little
confused as to this line of thought when it comes to graphs.

It's (IMO) a decent way to do unconstrained development.  Stop asking what we
want to put in, tell us what you can provide!  Look at chan_cellphone, look
at the res_odbc, look at realtime...  Just because YOU may not see a specific
need for it doesn't mean the system should be designed so it's difficult to
add in later.

What about a linked list of info gatherers... traverse the list at a specific
interval, and if any of the entries have an "alarm" that expired during the
last interval, run it to gather the data.  If the PBX is on a system with
constraints, don't include so many information sources.  If you're running it
on an enormous or diverse system, allow the system to use some of that for
graphing.  I may be a little naive, but I'm fairly certain that this is not
some gigantic design issue.

-A.