[asterisk-gui] Opinion, what do you want in the gui for users?

QUICK, RANDY RQUICK at THCS.ORG
Mon Apr 16 05:25:41 MST 2007

I agree!

Most devices can utilize TFTP correct?  We use Aastra 480i's and it would be great if I could select an option in the user menu to add a (macaddress).cnf to the tftpboot directory with the info that was used in the users form i.e.- username and password.

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-gui-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-gui-bounces at lists.digium.com]On Behalf Of Steven Sokol
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2007 9:50 AM
To: Asterisk GUI project discussion
Subject: Re: [asterisk-gui] Opinion, what do you want in the gui for
users?

On 4/13/07, Facundo Ameal <fameal at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been thinking a lot about this topic and I figured out that it
> would be be awesome if the GUI  had something to implement
> provisioning with some of the most known IP telephones/gateways.

Amen!

In a recent review by Network World one of our open source competitors
beat three very good Asterisk-based PBX systems not so much because of
the lack of features within Asterisk but because the competitor
included support for directly provisioning phones.

However.... This may be beyond the asterisk-gui project.  It may
warrant an additional project that connects to Asterisk by way of the
manager API and to the endpoints by whatever methods are available.
(We really need to lobby the manufacturers to adopt a standard format
for provisioning, but that's not going to happen in the short-term.)

What do you folks think?

--
Steven Sokol
CEO