[asterisk-embedded] Realistic transcoding expectations on Blackfin platform

Noël Bouchard noelbou at vif.com
Mon Jul 7 11:34:08 CDT 2008

Hello Stephen

You can have a good idea with the asterisk command :
show translation

Please post  the output of  it ..

Here is the output for a WRTSL54GS router with Broadcom CPU @ 266

 Translation times between formats (in milliseconds) for one second of data
          Source Format (Rows) Destination Format (Columns)

          g723 gsm ulaw alaw g726aal2 adpcm slin lpc10 g729 speex ilbc g726 g722
     g723    -   -    -    -        -     -    -     -    -     -    -    -    -
      gsm    -   -   18   19        -     -   17     -    -     -    -    -    -
     ulaw    - 123    -    1        -     -    1     -    -     -    -    -    -
     alaw    - 124    1    -        -     -    2     -    -     -    -    -    -
 g726aal2    -   -    -    -        -     -    -     -    -     -    -    -    -
    adpcm    -   -    -    -        -     -    -     -    -     -    -    -    -
     slin    - 122    1    2        -     -    -     -    -     -    -    -    -

Here: Ulaw to GSM takes 123 msec to translate 1 sec of  audio (so a max
of maybe 8 streams
and probably less to alloe for other CPU tasks)

and GSM to ulaw takes  18 msecs for 1 second.

Isn't i possible to avoid translation ? If your FXO can be set to ude
this codec
no translation  would be needed ... (?)

Noel