[asterisk-embedded] AA50 & codec_g729a.so?

Kristian Kielhofner kristian.kielhofner at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 11:06:22 CST 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 8:53 PM, Dayton Turner <dayton at voxter.ca> wrote:
> Has anyone compiled codec_g729a.so for the AA50 yet? Im trying to do
> some load testing on mine running even in passhrough mode, but when
> using originate/call files, it wants to transcode to slin for the
> first leg of the call, which fails.  I know g729 is a bit of a
> challenge with no MMU/FPU, but from what I've read it should be
> possible. It would also be nice to see this for small tasks like
> Voicemail -> Email WAV transcoding.
>
> Alternatively, if anyone has any suggestions on how I might test
> calling capacity of the AA50 in g729 passthrough mode without having
> to have a phone place each call, ie generating the calls from the AA50
> in g729 to an external asterisk box which also speaks g729 and just
> plays audio back, I'm all ears...
>
> Dayton

Dayton,

  Wild guess here...  I'm guessing any implementation of the G729
codec on the AA50 just hooks into the DSPs (that's what a Blackfin is,
after all).  Probably somewhat like the Digium hardware transcoder
card.  I don't have experience with either but that's just a guess.

  G729 pass-through rocks though.  With the proper configuration (no
zap, some misc. tweaks) you shouldn't ever have to transcode G729...
Really helps in embedded space!

--
Kristian Kielhofner