[asterisk-embedded] AA50 - misconfigured IAX Jitterbuffer or Inadequate hardware

Karl Schmutz kschmutz at starnetdata.com
Fri Oct 19 17:04:41 CDT 2007

Hello everyone, I figured this would be the best place to ask.

I currently have a IAX trunk inbetween an Asterisk Appliance(aa50)
running 1.0.3.2 code and an Asterisk Business Edition(Asterisk
ABE-B.1-3:46118M built by admin on 2007-04-26 00:26:13 UTC build). I was
working on getting the IAX jitter buffer to work. My test setup is one
phone on each end and in the LAN port I also have a Fluke network device
that generates broadcast traffic.

The pertinent options on the server in IAX.conf are
jitterbuffer=yes
forcejitterbuffer=no
dropcount=3
maxjitterbuffer=1000

with jitterbuffer=yes set on the trunk.

Similar settings are set in the AA50 with global IAX options. however
the jitter buffer doesnt seem to be working as I would expect it to. I
generate(according to the fluke) 370ms of traffic at 100% bandwidth
utilization which I would expect to have no effect on the audio call(if
im understanding jitter correctly) Yet there is a large and noticable
gap in audio when I send out the broadcast traffic. I would say this to
be a configuration problem except that the audio cutout occurs when I
place the inbound(inbound to AA50) call on hold. The music on hold is
generated from the AA50 so traffic generated on the LAN should have no
effect on the appliance sending out via the WAN port, yet it does. Is
this a limitation of the AA50 or am I just misconfiguring the jitter
buffer? I would think that 1second of jitter is more than enough to
cover ~400 ms of network traffic even so. Any ideas?

Karl Schmutz
Network Engineer
Starnet Data Design, Inc.
Main:  805.371-0585