[asterisk-embedded] Test suite for embedded systems

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Mon Nov 20 01:37:42 MST 2006

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 10:15:47AM +0200, Stelios Koroneos wrote:
> Greetings to all !
> Since i don't see much traffic here thought i should start the channel
> moving as there are several issues that come up during the Embedded task
> force meeting in Astricon.
>
> One of the first things i would like to discuss is setting a "test suite"
> for embedded systems, that would allow us to "rate" how an embedded platform
> performs (number of sip/iax calls it can handle, codecs it can use etc)

That varies greatly on the type of load.  E.g: handling 100 "concurrent
calls" that are long lasting calls is a bit different from handling 100
concurrent short calls, where the call setup is meaningful.

Do you want to propose a standard benchmark dialplan to be the base of
such comparisons?

> It has come to my attention that people using embedded systems for * tend to
> think that on systems with different architecture (i.e i386 vs mips vs
> powerpc vs xscale) the cpu speed is the main characteristic for the number
> of calls a system can handle.
> Although this can be true on systems based on the same arch, its not the
> case when comparing different archs,especially when things like the type and
> speed of memory,are not taken into account.

Why? Unless you try to messure strange number such as performance per
price or performance per BogoMIPS, the numbers you have are actual
numbers you can compare.

> Tests with sipp and some other availiable tools can provide us with info in
> order to clarify this issue.
>
> Anyone has run any tests on the platform they are using ?

An embedded Asterisk is just like any Asterisk in that sense. SIP, RTP,
IP atc. are rather platform independent. And such a system could be
easily flooded by even a simple Asterisk i386 test server.

In short: this is not a -embedded-specific topic, I guess.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com