[asterisk-doc] limit the concurrent number of calls

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Thu Jul 16 07:15:23 CDT 2009

Atef Alqashqish wrote:
> I am using Asterisk 1.4.23.1 between our two offices where an asterisk
> box is installed in each office, we have a limited internet link between
> the office and would like to limit the concurrent number of calls
> between offices to 4. We are using IAX channel when a call is routed
> from one asterisk box to another.
>
> Please advise how to do this

You want to use the GROUP() and GROUP_COUNT() functions in your dialplan.
If you want to allow calls between each office, but only have 4 total calls
(i.e. 3 in one direction, 1 in the other, 2 and 2, 1 and 3, or 0 and 4, etc...)
then you may need to implement something like DUNDi which does a query, where
the mapping includes a call to the GROUP_COUNT() function, and then you add up
the number of calls the remote box is sending you.

Actually, on second thought, that probably isn't necessary at all. Just run
GROUP and GROUP_COUNT() on the incoming calls as well, and that should allow you
to keep track of the number of incoming and outgoing calls in that same group,
then limit the calls to 4 that way.

Many solutions to the same issue, as always :)

Leif Madsen.
http://www.leifmadsen.com
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/asterisk