[asterisk-doc] Fwd: Re: [asterisk-dev] [policy] Language specific prompts

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Thu Feb 12 20:56:39 CST 2009

2009/2/13 Tilghman Lesher <tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com>

> On Feb 10, 2009, at 10:20 AM, Russell Bryant wrote:
> > On Feb 6, 2009, at 11:57 AM, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> > > I am proposing, as a matter of policy, that anybody wishing to make
> > > ANY
> > > change whatsoever to multi-language support, that they should have
> > > to document
> > > every single prompt in that native language, in a fashion that is
> > > identical to
> > > the Hebrew document (which may be found in doc/lang/).
> >
> > I do not have a problem with this from a high level.  However, I would
> > like to suggest a different approach to getting this documentation
> > generated.
> >
> > I really do not want to rely on waiting for someone to show up who is
> > just trying to help the project by reporting a bug to then ask them to
> > undergo a large undertaking to get the problem fixed.  It's likely it
> > will just scare people off.
> >
> > Instead, we should probably take a more proactive approach by
> > requesting help on the mailing lists to get a group of community
> > members looking for a way to help involved in getting this
> > documentation generated.
>
> Well, here's one suggestion that we need documentation support on.
> Is anybody able to look at this from languages other than English, Spanish,
> and French, and document the sounds embedded in Asterisk, so that native
> speakers can record their own prompts?

I'll have a look at the Chinese language stuff, I noticed a couple of
specific sounds recently relating to numbering when fixing some stuff
recently... I think it would be of benefit to have text documents in
doc/lang though, even if there are other format docs available too...

Improving the Chinese language support is an ongoing background project of
mine started recently, I'm hoping to get a full sound collection for Chinese
mandarin recorded soon which should help with identifying further issues and
potentially help promote more asterisk use in mandarin speaking countries...