[asterisk-doc] PHP.net-style Asterisk Documentation

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Tue Apr 21 15:59:19 CDT 2009

James Hunt wrote:
> I was reading through the Feb 2009 archives for this list and found an
> exchange about setting up an "authoritative" documentation site for
> Asterisk.  I think this would be a great complement to TFOT - especially
> once you get past the basics and want to really expand out a dialplan or a
> multi-server Asterisk PBX.
>
> At work, we recently built a VOIP ACD using Asterisk, with a lot of dialplan
> logic that I would consider "advanced" - queueing, callback agents, agents
> on hard and soft phones, BLF lights and more.  In the process of building
> this switch, we relied heavily on TFOT, Switching to VOIP and voip-info.org.
> That being said, it was still difficult to pin down decent documentation on
> how things can and should be done.  Most of the time we used voip-info as a
> starting point and hacked around with a test system until we got something
> to work.
>
> I agree that the voip-info wiki hasn't worked, and I'd be willing to help
> build a PHP.net-style documentation base with user-supplied comments.  Is
> there still an interest in this?

There is! And thanks for bringing this up, as I have been working on getting
this system up and running sooner rather than later. I hope within the next
month (or ideally less!) to get something like this up and running.

As Olle mentioned, there has been work to get things converted to XML
documentation inside the Asterisk code, so that is really the best place to
start. There are still some dialplan applications and functions that need to be
converted over, and then we need to start working on getting other areas using
this same type of documentation method for things like AMI commands, AGI
commands, CLI commands, etc...

Jared Smith has been working on some XML stuff recently so we can easily import
this into a CMS backend, so stay tuned in the near future for this all to be
released to the public.

When I have some extra work for the community to start participating in, you'll
hear about it on this mailing list.

Thanks!

--
Leif Madsen.