[asterisk-doc] Re: [asterisk-dev] Variable Inheritance, Setting Channel Variables outside of current context

Olle E Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu May 18 08:45:15 MST 2006

>  My comment was about a channel going into and out of several contexts
>  during a call.  I understand that the execution of the dialplan is
> linear,
>  and that a context is merely a "function" of sorts, which jumps to
> that
>  part of the dialplan, executes, then returns to the next action
> after the
>  call to the different context (if that different context allows it).

That description seems very unclear to me, but it could be a language
problem since you're not talking clear and straight Swedish here.

We do have an incoming channel. This channel enters the dialplan
in a preset context where we match the extension with the dialled
identifier - a number
or in the case of SIP a string.

During execution of the dialplan for the incoming channel a lot of
things can happen,
we can jump to other parts of the dialplan within the same context or
in another
context, we can place outbound calls or play stuff.

During an outbound call, nothing happens in the dialplan. During a
dial, the channel
that executes the dial stands still from a dialplan point of view.

"During a call" is very unspecific in regards to writing
documentation for asterisk,
it's hard to grasp - do you mean "a call" when two or more people
have an audio
communication path - or from the point an incoming channel started
execution of
the dialplan until we hangup the incoming channel and produce a cdr?

/O

---
* Olle E. Johansson - oej at edvina.net
* Asterisk Training http://edvina.net/training/