[asterisk-doc] r3 - // /en/config/ /en/reference/general/ /en/reference/general/functions/ /...

Randy Resnick randulo at ssl-mail.com
Wed May 3 22:20:45 MST 2006

Russell Bryant wrote:
> commits at digium.com wrote:
>> +<refentry id="function.vmauthenticate">
>
> As has been suggested multiple times already, you should *really* start
> using the term "application" in this documentation before you get much
> further.  We have another entity in asterisk called dialplan functions
> which are completely different from applications.  Use of the term
> "function" in this context is bound to cause mass confusion.

Hi all,

I wish I had more time because not only is what Russel said very true
and important, the entire terminology needs to be scrutinized and I
think several areas need improvement. This is no one's fault, just the
organic growth of asterisk.

Someone should step in and identify the ambiguous and hard to search for
elements as well. For example, when talking about this:

${EXTEN:4}

What is that called? If I didn't know better, starting with asterisk, my
reasoning would be "there's gotta be a substring function" (heh, or is
that an application?) Once I coulnd't remember whether ${}:n was zero or
one indexed. I googles for asterisk substring, assuming I'd find
"substr() is deprecated, see fjhregf.

I can't wait to look at what's being done and I'm excited to see the
gang active again! I hope to have some time to look RSN.

rand