[asterisk-doc] Application Documentation

Leif Madsen asterisk.leif.madsen at gmail.com
Tue May 2 20:32:26 MST 2006

On 5/2/06, Russell Bryant <russell at digium.com> wrote:
> Jared Smith wrote:
> > While we're on the topic, can we change your doc infrastructure to stop
> > calling applications functions, and call them applications instead?
> > Dialplan functions are different than dialplan applications, and I'm
> > afraid we'll confuse people.
>
> Indeed.  I meant to mention this when I sent the first email.  If you look at
> the files that the CLI command generates for you, it is using "applications"
> instead of "functions".  Speaking of functions, I can update this later to
> support the dialplan functions as well.

Very cool! What might we do about being able to keep all of this
documentation synchronized between the documentation project, and
Asterisk itself? It might be pretty useful to have a website where
people can read about the various applications and functions, and for
that documentation to be in sync with what is show when you do a show
application <foo>. It logically seems to make the most sense to use
DocBook in Asterisk to keep all the documentation centralized
(end-user documentation of course -- coding documentation is in
doxygen).

Suggestions? I think this would be a good topic to put on the
conference call for next week.

Leif Madsen.