[asterisk-doc] How to write new application for Asterisk by using C

Randy Resnick randulo at ssl-mail.com
Wed Jul 19 06:51:05 MST 2006

> Currently, there's not a lot of documentation available for how to
> develop new Asterisk modules.  I suggest you look at app_skel.c in the
> source code, as well as the source code for the other applications,
> functions, etc.  If anyone is volunteering to help document the creation
> of Asterisk modules, I'm certainly interested.

I'd like to see this happen, too. When I first got things going, I
wanted to write my own math application to simplify reading bit flags in
a variable. I finally copied the skel (I guess that's what it's for) and
was able to do it. The problem was that without looking at the source,
it was hard to know how certaing functions worked. Sure, I copied the
args and hoped for the best, but I'd expect a minimal doc to exist if we
want to see interesting apps evolve.