[asterisk-doc] I am new to asterisk..Please help me..

Hameed, Mian F mian.hameed at verizonbusiness.com
Thu Jul 13 09:01:45 MST 2006

On July 13, 2006 Randolph Resnick wrote:
> There are two or three sites that do exactly that.....
>1) http://automated.it/guidetoasterisk.htm
2>) http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2003/07/03/asterisk.html
3)> http://www.asteriskguru.com/tutorials/

Here is my question. If all is there then how come a new person can't
run asterisk w/o a pain; at a minimum? May be all of the above was not
read????

On July 12, 2006 Mian Hameed Wrote:
>There is not a single startup document that I was aware of when I was
>setting up asterisk that will help you set up asterisk on the fly.

This is exactly my point. You have to go four different places to get
things done, only if you get lucky and I did go on a search pilgrimage
when I was doing mine.... what an unpleasant experience it was. (Great,
at least it is there NOW or did I miss it. I see progress). I proposed
before that it should be one document and make it a lab exercise w/o
mistakes and make asterisk a pleasurable learning experience. I agree
with Ira, I cannot get quality help from most of these docs, so I read
it twice that made me dangerous enough and my life went on. This is from
an IT guy who has also taught calc in a University for 7 years as a
passion and not as a career. I exactly knew where my students would get
lost. I see what Ira is saying.

Ira wrote
>....I sure couldn't figure it out from docs as they were so I added
something.

>From the above statement, adding that "something" is what is needed. Who
said that these documents are true blue to the core? Some "God fearing"
person wrote it and was not subject to a review or any quality control.
As George Bush senior said, it won't be PRUDENT to ask a geek to write a
basic esterisk 101 white paper, for a 101 audience. Humor there!!!

So my suggestion:
To make a lab focusing on how to make asterisk work when you get hold of
a PC. Then test your lab against what you have done so that you put out
a solid lab. If most of the work is there then compile it and make it
user friendly.

Do you remember the "Word Perfect" days? The product was partly
successful because of their OUTSTANDING tech support, which Novell never
had. AND we know the rest. As I recall, in the beginning Microsoft
provided free tech support and the product was embraced by many. Yes, I
understand these are big company names..... Touching asterisk is an
uphill battle. We can change that can we not?

We need to get the 101 level and mid level folks interested in asterisk
by making it easy.

In general:
I have read your comments and to stay focused, I would not raise an
issue with your opinion. Thanks for your feedback.

Ira, we can talk on the phone at my expense. You do not have to write
any thing.

Mian