[asterisk-doc] I am new to asterisk..Please help me..

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Wed Jul 12 09:53:24 MST 2006

Your writing seems good enough to me.

>I read it which got me
> here, but once I'd read it mostly I found it didn't have the
> depth of coverage I needed to go where I wanted to go and so
> I started using the wiki which is better but disorganized.

Agreed. Depth was not our intent.

> I didn't say it's not worthwhile, just that I don't think
> it's perfect. I own a paper copy and occasionally I pull it
> out to read a chapter about something I've not implemented
> yet and it's useful for letting me know what I'm about to get
> into and how I might use it, but I don't find it much help past that.

It was never intended to be more than an introduction.

> Then again, I don't know the goals of the authors. If it was
> to get my interest up so I'd jump in, it worked, if it was to
> be a manual and reference, it worked less.

It was the former not the latter.

We discussed writing an authoritative bible of all things Asterisk, and
realized that that would be a mighty tome indeed. Also, what we found was
most needed was an introduction. Enough to get started. From that base (as
you have discovered) there was enough information in the community to go to
the next step.

We are working on more with O'Reilly, and there is other stuff in the works
as well. One of the challenges of writing for Asterisk is that it changes so
fast it is hard to keep up with it. It was tough enough writing our book to
handle Asterisk 1.2, since many of the features of 1.2 did not exist when we
started writing.

Anyhow, thanks for your feedback. That was helpful.

Jim

--
Jim Van Meggelen
jim at vanmeggelen.ca
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2177

"A child is the ultimate startup, and I have three.
This makes me rich."
                    Guy Kawasaki