[Asterisk-doc] Using OpenOfice XML format for editing documentation

asterisk asterisk at stn.pl
Fri Jan 20 05:02:02 MST 2006

I made some tests with OpenOffice 2.0.1
I hope the result is interesting not only for me.

As a source I used file in .doc format generated by MSWord, based on the
template prepared by publisher.

I opened oo .odt file and successfully changed content.xml.
Original formating by oo is not bad, but whole <text> tags are as a single
lines.

By Quanta Plus, using Tools - Text Wrap and Tools - Align
I have got perfectly formated source, easy to edit by any text or XML editor.
(Quanta is not good for editing, because work is veeeery slow.)

Operating:

to unpack document file:
unzip file.odt

to upgrade changed file:
zip -u file.odt content.xml

Warning:
zip file.odt *
not working, because the result is not accepted by oo.

XHTML and PDF export from oo is very nice.

Radek

Below are attached some lines from  help of OpenOffice.

XML file structure
Documents in OpenDocument file format are stored as compressed zip archives
that contain XML files. To view these XML files, you can open the
OpenDocument file with an unzip program. The following files and directories
are contained within the OpenDocument files:

- The text content of the document is located in content.xml.
By default, content.xml is stored without formatting elements like indentation
or line breaks to minimize the time for saving and opening the document. On
the Tools - Options - Load/Save -
 General tab page you can activate the use of indentations and line breaks by
clearing the check box Size optimization for XML format (no pretty printing).

- The file meta.xml contains the meta information of the document, which you
can enter under File - Properties.
If you save a document with a password, meta.xml will not be encrypted.

- The file settings.xml contains further information about the settings for
this document.
- In styles.xml, you find the styles applied to the document that can be seen
in the Styles and Formatting window.
The meta-inf/manifest.xml file describes the structure of the XML file.

Additional files and folders can be contained in the packed file format.