[Asterisk-doc] Is the project dead?

Peter Beckman beckman at purplecow.com
Sun Apr 23 16:14:26 MST 2006

El vie, 21-04-2006 a las 16:03 -0400, Peter Beckman escribió:

> > I've documented in the "Function Reference" section a few AGI and a few
> > Dialplan functions.  Not deeply, but enough to give a decent idea of what I
> > hope this project could become.
> >
> > Comment away!
> >
> > http://mph.gotdns.com:82/manual/en/index.php
>
> I like the framework (I can't wait to see the /manual/eS/ page  ;)
> Thanks!

  I hope that using this framework making a Spanish translation shouldn't be
  extremely difficult.

> > There is something strange in the include files that causes my server to
> > not load superfast... I'm tracking that down.  It's something copied from
> > PHP.net that's doing it.
>
> How can we start making the contributions?

  I fixed the strange issue with the docs mentioned above.

  Right now the docs sit on my home server.  I think Jared was going to set
  up an SVN area I could put the code in and allow people to check it out
  and contribute.

  There are a few things that I believe need to happen though:

     1. Asterisk Docs member buy-in.  I'm not familiar with who
        heads/runs/manages the AsteriskDocs.org project and website.  I
        don't want to step on toes pushing a new way to document onto a
        bunch of people who have clearly put in many hours of work into this
        project already.  If the Ast-doc folk like what they see, great.
        I'd love to see everyone on the team get excited about this and
        throw their support behind it.

     2. Document the process.  We could just put this in SVN and see what
        happens, but just letting everyone go to town making documentation
        is an easy way for things to get messy very quickly.  There needs to
        be a process to allow people be commiters, a review process for each
        commit, some guidelines that documentation writers need to
        follow, and an automated way to enforce as many of those guidelines
        as possible, to reduce the amount of effort "supermods" need to put
        forth to get good documentation to the people.

     3. Commitment to constant review.  Documentation is only as good as its
        editors.  If the docs contain inaccurate, misspelled and just plain
        wrong information, then all that work will be in vein.  People need
        to commit to reviewing documentation bug submissions and making
        updates quickly and accurately.  A small team needs to interface
        constantly with the development team to make sure that documentation
        for 1.2.8 is ready and available when the dev team releases 1.2.8,
        not 2 months later.

  We can take a lot of these things from the PHP Documentation Group.  They
  have guidelines, scripts, and have documented fairly well the process to
  documentation.  By riding on the coattails of their successful framework,
  the Asterisk Documentation can continue to grow and flourish as Asterisk
  matures even futher.

  I am but one person; for this to work there needs to be a small and
  dedicated group of people willing to back eachother up, help enforce some
  guidelines and rules, and keep things moving.  I'm in, but I can't do it
  alone.

Beckman
beckman at purplecow.com                             http://www.purplecow.com/