[Asterisk-doc] Added some ISDN documentation

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Wed Mar 2 18:43:51 CST 2005

asterisk-doc-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
> Am Sonntag 27 Februar 2005 12:46 schrieb Jens Kübler:
>> comments, suggestions welcome.
>>
>> According to the webpage this seems the correct place to post this
>> patch.
>>
>> Jens Kübler
>>
>> now with correct identity
>
> Is there anybody out there?
> To update, to waste away the patch or maybe to pickup a flame war why
> i post patches to mailinglists?

Jens, thanks for your submission! We have not ignored you, we're just
trying to figure out the best place to fit your work.

The challenge we have is this:

Volume One has the goal of helping a user through setting up four
interfaces: SIP, IAX, FXO and FXS. What you have submitted falls outside
that scope.

Having said that, I think it would be agreed that the documentation is
very North American in its focus. In order to serve a more international
audience, having contributors from elsewhere is very valuable to us.

The challenge: is ISDN something that would be valuable to the newbie?
In North America, there will be very few newbies who would use ISDN-BRI,
so from that perspective it does not fit this book. In Europe, that
might be a very common set up for a newbie, and thus it would definitely
fit this book. But in that case we may need to re-think many sections.

Either way, we want to talk to you about your ideas. If you can give us
a better understanding of how Asterisk is used in Europe, that will be
very valuable. Perhaps ISDN-BRI in Europe deserves it's own chapter, but
for sure we need to think about how to fit your contribution into the
document as a whole. Simply patching it in where you've put it might not
be the best place for it, and if we put that in, we're going to need to
support it elsewhere in the book as well, and that means we'll need more
writing from you.

We'd like to talk to you some more, as we could certainly use a European
author on the team!

Regards,

--
Jim Van Meggelen