[Asterisk-doc] As promised, some internals docs

Jared Smith jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net
Sat Feb 5 17:36:27 CST 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 15:09 -0800, Chief Charles Ugo. Eke wrote:
> I am trying to setup my own VoIP telco like Vonage, but do not have the structured plan or step by
> step on how to start. CAN ANYBODY PLEASE HELP OR EVEN POINT ME TO A SITE TO READ/COPY THE
> INFORMATION?

Welcome to the Asterisk Documentation Project mailing list!

While there's a fair amount of Asterisk documentation out there right
now (see www.asteriskdocs.org and www.voip-info.org) and we're working
hard on getting better documentation, it's all geared toward "Here's how
to setup an Asterisk server", not "Here's how to run your own VoIP
telco".  If you want to learn to setup an Asterisk server, I suggest you
read everything you can find on the two sites I mentioned above, and
spend the next couple of months becoming an Asterisk guru.

As for step-by-step instructions or a structured plan on how to start
your own VoIP company, I doubt anything like that exists.  The only way
to build a truly successful VoIP telco business is through sweat, blood,
and tears.  It honestly takes a lot of effort and experience to do that
sort of thing.  And most people who do have that kind of experience are
aren't eager to give away their secrets.

So, as I said before, dig into what documentation you can find, and get
yourself some good experience with Asterisk.  Along the way, if you find
things that are poorly documented and you can help out, please help
contribute to our documentation project.

-Jared