[Asterisk-doc] I'm thinking that FTP makes more sense for Volume One than CVS does

jim at digitalchemy.ca jim at digitalchemy.ca
Thu Oct 7 11:18:17 CDT 2004

I guess since Asterisk is no longer beta, the distribution mechanisms need to be
updated to take into account a new breed of user.

Folks will be looking at Asterisk now who have not done so in the past because of
it's beta status. Some of these people will not be interested in learning CVS, and will
use FTP, regardless of whether that's the best solution technically.

If Asterisk 1.0 becomes as popular as we all know it will, the ever increasing volume
of downloads will also put an enormous burden on Asterisk.org's FTP server.
Obviously, sharing the load amongst several mirrors will quickly become very
attractive.

Probably the distribution strategy for 1.0 will need to be different from the method
popular with the  development community.

Cheers,

Jim.

--
Jim Van Meggelen