[Asterisk-doc] suggested addition for Hardware Installation

Randy Resnick asterisk-doc@lists.digium.com
Fri, 28 May 2004 07:47:48 +0200

> OK, this is EXCELLENT, except I'm worried that we are going to continually
> keep repeating the same things over and over and over.  I seem to be able to
> look at this documentation and split it into different sections of the book,
> but I'm not even sure splitting most of this up is appropriate?
> Comments, suggestions ?
The only reason I went on from IRQ other than momentum, is that this
stuff should be found together somewhere. I think John Todd's second
article on this same subject (Simple POTS or something like that) is
excellent by the way.

Practical suggestion:

How about taking the IRQ 1st three paragraphs and putting this under IRQ
issues. At the end of this or somewhere around "Digium cards", "see
annex #n" for a complete example" and I (or anyone) could add a *very
simple* extensions.conf or excerpt to make the phones work.

About repeating, you don't want to do it all the time, but it is a good
teaching tool. Of course the main point of the doc isn't harware
installation.

Just as you want to look in the loops to make a program more efficient,
you probably want to "overdocument" the parts about SIP and IAX2 setup
and expecially extensions.conf. This last, as is stated in the current
docs is where "you'll be spending a lot of your time..."

best

rr

ps. IMHO this issue points out one of the few weakness of *, the fact
that to set up one user or phone, you need to play with about five or
more files. This alone make documentation confusing and hard to use.