[Asterisk-doc] Layout Suggestion

Leif Madsen asterisk-doc@lists.digium.com
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:13:09 -0400

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:52:59 -0600, Jared Smith
<jaredsmith@jaredsmith.net> wrote:
> Comments inline:

My comments also inline:

> > This would split the current chapter 3 basically into two chapters.
> > This then makes the channel .conf files such as sip.conf, iax.conf,
> > zapata.conf and I guess zaptel.conf(?) covered in the Channels
> > chapter.  Extensions.conf is then covered in chapter 4 (Dialplans).
> > We can then cover the other .conf files in Chapter 5 (Configuration
> > Files).  We can then end the basic knowledge section with common
> > issues (FAQ).
>
> I don't think this chapter 3 should cover all of sip.conf, iax.conf, and
> zapata.conf.  I want this chapter to be *simple*.   It should basically
> explain what channels are and how they are used.  After that, I'd rather
> it just covered the *basics* of zapata.conf/zaptel.conf (just enough to
> get a Devkit Light working
> ), and maybe iax.conf (to get an IAXtel connection going, for those
> without a Devkit).  We can cover SIP and other channel types later, as
> well as the details of all the .conf files.

OK, I can jive with that.  Chapter 3 might end up being somewhat
"short" I guess.  If I can get a DevKit then I can finish chapter 2
and 3 (hint, hint :))

> > We can then start on the Advanced Knowledge section.  I've slight
> > rearranged it from its current order.  It then ends with its own
> > common issues section.
>
> Let's worry about the Advanced section of the book after we get the
> Basic section done.

Sorry, that is what I meant to imply :)

> > I can always use a little more help in writing documentation.  I'd
> > like to hear people's thoughts and documentation.  If you have a few
> > moments to comment it'd be appreciated.
>
> You can count on my to open my big mouth and let you know what I think.
> What does everyone else think?  I'm hoping to get some substantial work
> done between now and Astricon, so that we have something to show off.
> :-)

It's your big mouth I count on so I'm not talking to myself :)

Leif Madsen
http://www.asteriskdocs.org