[Asterisk-doc] Is it time to ask for help?

Nick Bachmann asterisk-doc@lists.digium.com
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:12:36 -0800 (PST)

> Is it time to ask the asterisk-users and/or asterisk-dev list for some
> help?  We've all seen the amount of traffic in the asterisk-doc mailing
> list drop, and I just don't want to see people start to leaving or
> forgetting about the docs.  I realize a lot of people have become
> EXTREMELY busy recently (myself not excluded).  I'm sure I could find
> some time to add documentation to the book, but I'm not going to have
> time to write new documentation.  If we could get a bunch of people to
> just pick a section to write, that would be amazing.

Just a crazy idea: perhaps a few developers who prefer to write code over
English could contribute by "time sharing."  Since I have some Asterisk
coding work I'd like to get tone, I haven't been spending much time at all
on docs as I otherwise might.  If an interested developer could just take
my little project, I could write a section he or she would like to see
written instead.  If we could get a sort-of trading system, I think maybe
we could get some more work done.  Obviously, this system could only be
used for small features, but I still think it could possibly work.
Just an idea...

> To be honest, I think we have a lot of good information about hard to
> configure stuff, but I'm not happy with the installation chapter, where
> I think we need some more information for the new people coming to
> start with asterisk.  From what I have read of the extensions.conf
> chapter, that looks like it's coming along quite nicely!

The guy on the -users list who got his Lucent/Avaya Definity to work with
* sent me a PDF on how he did it for us to add to the book... I plan on
XMLing it as soon as I get my aforementioned little coding project done.
> I realize people have little time to contribute right now as I am also
> in the exact same boat, but I'd hate to see all this hard work go to
> waste... there is potential for a really great product to be produced
> from this.

The book is so close to being filled in... I think the next person to
write something should get the ADGAOFT Award
(http://www.not-real.org/~nick/goldast.jpg) :-)
> Just my .02 cents CDN.

Reminds me of Dan Ackroyd (playing a provincial policeman) in Canadian
Bacon: "I do have to fine you. That will be a thousand dollars Canadian,
or 10 American dollars if you prefer." :-)
Nick