[Asterisk-doc] extensions.conf section

Steven Critchfield asterisk-doc@lists.digium.com
Sun, 04 Jan 2004 12:08:19 -0600

Boy, this was a much more friendly break down than I expected. Of course
it is the first to really break it down.

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 10:14, Philipp von Klitzing wrote:
> Hi Steven!
>
> Where can i find the stylesheet for displaying this?

Use db2html or db2pdf. I installed it as part of the docbook-utils
package in Debian.

> 			<title>/usr/src/asterisk</title>
> 			<para>
> 			This is where standard convention places the asterisk source code.
> 			All examples will point you to this directory when pointing to the
> 			source code.
>
> Unless I misunderstood the chapter structure I think you should shortly
> mention /libpri /zaptel and /asterisk-addons as well.

I could agree with some with addons here, but I was trying to hold this
to asterisk itself and figured those other source directories would be
covered in sections dedicated to the zaptel hardware.

> 			<!-- qcall? Someone who knows this should fill in a sentence about
> 			it. -->
>
> Technical question: When rendered into PDF I guess that HTML comment will
> drop out = not be shown? At least for the moment I'd suggest to use some
> kind of "open question" tag that can be easily hidden when needed, but
> shown while the documentation is still in the process of being written.

Yes, it will be dropped in any rendering of the document. Similarly if
this is included in the current CVS, I would expect that this question
would also be mentioned from the NOTES file so as to attract a person to
fix it.

>     > From this example you should be able to notice
>
> Hm... sounds a bit like newbie bashing to me. ;->

Okay, not meant to be, but I can see what you are talking about. I guess
it could loose the "be able to" to reduce the feeling of "you may not be
able to".

> In general: Maybe it'd be nice to have a very minimal setup provided in
> the book (see recent discussion on users-l) that just lists two SIP
> devices and a minimalistic extensions.conf with the two devices, fwd
> dialout (and maybe iaxtel dialout) and voicemail (so skip the demo).

My intention was to do a quick run through what was needed and reinforce
contexts in every example, but to keep examples simple and short enough
so you could pass through this section quickly. I think if you can get
the basics here quickly, cover the interface files, and then you can do
the simple installs.

> 				<para>
> 				Hangup is where calls will go to when hangup is detected, or where
> 				you can send calls that you want to hangup on.
> 				</para>
>
> On users-l I recently read comments of bkw stating that h has limitations
> and should not be relied upon e.g. for billing purposes etc. It hink that
> should be added here.

That sounds good as it would also fill out that paragraph and make it
not look so puny.

> 				<lineannotation>; Make sure we wait long enough for the CallerID to
> be received.</lineannotation>
>
> This remark is only valid for analog calls, I assume?

Yes, an no. Depends on how you are receiving CallerID. If it is via the
FSK then it is valid. If it is on a VoIP or PRI line then no it isn't
valid. But for a quick run through it doesn't cause problems.

> 		> You may be used to noticing that 9 is associated with dialing
> 		> an outside line.
>
> In Europe that's typically 0 instead of 9.

Okay, I was concerned about specifying a digit, but I have also run into
a few systems here with an 8 also. Maybe specifying the two digits would
be bad.

> 				> Exact matches can be typed as is, the letter 'X' matches all
> 				> digits, and the letter 'N' matches 2-9. This is especially
> 				> useful when defining outside phone number availability.
>
> Add a remark on . as well

Okay.

> 			<title>/var/log/asterisk</title>
> 			<para>
> 			Here is where you find the directory for the Call Detail
> 			Records(CDR), and a few files containing the messages generated by
> 			asterisk while running.
> 			</para>
>
> Is there a chapter forseen for administration (and logging)? I have the
> feeling that this should be added to the outline. Don't confuse this with
> setup and configuration questions, I mean "regular boring admin work"
> here including. The "clustering" sub-chapter should probably be moved
> into this new admin chapter. This could also include info about the admin
> tools astman, gastman etc.

If not, I'm sure there is now.

--
Steven Critchfield <critch@basesys.com>