[Asterisk-doc] bug report? Something that need to be fixed.

Steven Critchfield asterisk-doc@lists.digium.com
Thu, 01 Jan 2004 09:53:52 -0600

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 21:23, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 17:40, Jared Smith wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 16:28, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> > > As a bit more of a contribution, I have been working through the current
> > > CVS with aspell and trying to correct spelling. Notice I am using a
> > > tool, my spelling sucks worse than what I am checking. I just feel that
> > > it is important for a manual to not have misspellings as it will be the
> > > first thing that makes a user have doubts about the quality of the
> > > manual.
> > >
> > > Anyways here is a diff of spelling changes I see need to be fixed.
> > >

> > Thank you very much!  I've applied your patch to the CVS.  I'd be
> > interested in knowing more about using aspell and custom dictionaries...
> > if you could post a quick tutorial I'm sure we'd all appreciate it.
>
> aspell is pretty easy. The man page is pretty simple. The 2 basic
> options to make this easy would be to use a person word list with -p,
> and -c which hands aspell the file to check. Ideally the word list could
> be in CVS so that it could be inspected from time to time for those of
> us who don't spell so well and may have added a term that needs
> correction. This also allows at some point for the spell check to happen
> without any interaction unless there is real misspelling.
>
> If need be, I could submit a start to the word list for the beginning.

Since I now have CVS access, would it be a good idea for me to submit a
word list file for aspell, or is there a reason to use a different spell
checker?

I went through the current files and did some more spell checking. While
doing so, I created a word list file for terms, application names,
markup tags, names of people in the files, and a few other things that
occur often enough to be okay even if it is not proper spelling(eg.
newvar, and some directory path pieces.)

So with this word list file, I was able to do spell checking by typing
aspell -p ./word.list -c chapter01.xml

Luckily the word.list file is in plain text, and if you don't agree with
an inclusion, you just remove the entry from the list. If a entry needs
fixing, you just edit it.

BTW, here is another diff after doing some more spell checking to be
looked over. I know I could submit it myself, but I am not comfortable
with doing that yet. I'd rather be peer reviewed first.
--
Steven Critchfield <critch@basesys.com>