[Asterisk-doc] Astersik with ISDN up0

Martin List-Petersen martin+asterisk at list-petersen.net
Tue Dec 14 15:55:16 CST 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 08:41, Kumaran Subramanian wrote:
> I am new to the Asterisk world. I don’t know much about the
> architecture, but I am involved in installing and configuring the VoIP
> system.

First of all, this does not belong on the -doc list. The -doc list is
for discussions around the documentation efforts for asterisk
(specifically the Hitchhikers Guide to Asterisk)

> My requirement is to build a VoIP system using the 4 input lines (ISDN
> up0 telephone lines), it must be possible to receive calls from
> outside through the 4 ISDN up0 input lines, and also possible for
> outgoing calls, conferencing …etc.

I am not sure, what you mean with up0 ISDN lines.

ISDN exists in BRI (Basic Rate Interface), 1 d-channel and 2 b-channels,
and PRI (Primary Rate Interface), 1 d-channel and 30 b-channels (this is
different in the US).

There are several protocols for ISDN as 1TR6, DSS1, 5ESS, NI1 etc. DSS1
is also called EuroISDN and is the protocol, that is most widely used in
Europe.

There is a wide range of support for hardware that does ISDN, please
check the manual (http://www.asteriskdocs.org) or the Wiki
(http://www.voipinfo.org) for more information, since it is very well
documented.

Slán leat,