[Asterisk-doc] Should We Keep Chapter 5? was: Who's working on what? Chapter 5

Leif Madsen asterisk-doc@lists.digium.com
21 Dec 2003 18:49:48 -0500

On Sun, 2003-12-21 at 13:11, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
> I don't think a list of VoIP providers can be kept current and it should not be part of
> a manual, nor does a list of Asterisk consultants (including myself) fit into a handbook.
> I think there should be links to existing lists, on the Wiki and on Digium website.

I've been thinking about this, and tend to agree.  The original
intention of the book was to create a user manual which was a complete
reference of how to configure Asterisk.  I realize there are examples of
how to connect to the various providers, but I feel that this is more of
a support issue with the individual provider, and not something that the
manual should be concerned about.

I think the original idea and intension was a noble one, but I feel that
the book may become used as a commercial for the more well known
providers.  It may not start out like that, but it could eventually come
into that.

This is something we should resolve this week.  I don't want to
discourage anyone from contributing, but a whole chapter dedicated to
other providers may be seen as a commercial to someone just scanning
through the book, when it is meant to be a desktop reference for
someone.

Perhaps something like an Appendix in the back of the book with links to
various commercial and individual consultants would be a better idea.
Each company or individual could  have a small paragraph to describe
their company, and what they do / provide.

This is simply a suggestion on my part.  I would like to hear everyones
opinion before we change anything.  Even if it's a simple "yay" or "nay"
for whether we should keep chapter 5.

Thanks,
--
Leif Madsen <leif@hacklocalhost.com>