[asterisk-dev] C API Deprecation proposal: ast_gethostbyname()

asterisk at phreaknet.org asterisk at phreaknet.org
Wed May 10 17:16:47 CDT 2023

On 5/10/2023 6:02 PM, Sean Bright wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Per the C API Deprecation policy¹ I am proposing the deprecation of
> ast_gethostbyame() in favor of the ast_sockaddr family of functions. No
> in-tree code currently uses this function. Assuming the function is
> deprecated in Asterisk 21 it will be removed in Asterisk 23.
>
> There is already an issue² and PR³ for this deprecation.
>
> Please raise any concerns you have here for discussion.
Sounds like a no-brainer, since gethostbyname is deprecated anyways.
GCC has a deprecated attribute that can be added to functions. Would it
be worth adding that, so people will get warnings if trying to use the
function (and other deprecated functions)? Doxygen is nice but people
using that function probably aren't going to look at it.

  NA