[asterisk-dev] Removing configure from tree

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at sangoma.com
Thu May 4 05:27:12 CDT 2023

On Thu, May 4, 2023 at 7:15 AM Jaco Kroon <jaco at uls.co.za> wrote:

> The norm for many/most projects seem to be:
>
> 1.  No generated files in git, ever, even for tags/release branches.  In
> this case configure.ac yes, configure no.
>
> 2.  Generated files in archives, ie, in the downloadable
> asterisk-x.y.z.tar.gz file there should be a ./configure.
>
> For me this makes sense since MOST users will simply download the tgz and
> move on with their lives, thus no change to their workflow.
>
> For developers (checking out from git), surely running an extra
> ./bootstrap.sh prior to ./configure isn't too much to ask?
>
> Thus there is a change required to the release process for generating the
> archive (which is where github seems to have a pitfall in that automated
> download archives won't work as expected unless there is an option to first
> run a script on the checked out tree) to first run ./bootstrap.sh prior to
> creating the archive.

Some users do get tags from git, instead of downloading the tarball. I
don't think changing that is really worth it. Adding generation of
configure to the release process is minor.

It would only be if main branches (18, 20, master) were checked out that
you'd need to do it manually.

--
Joshua C. Colp
Asterisk Project Lead