[asterisk-dev] Deprecating users.conf

Henning Westerholt hw at gilawa.com
Fri Jun 30 13:23:09 CDT 2023

Hello,

> > I've put up a PR to deprecate users.conf[1], following a discussion
> > earlier this year about this, but I think that was on IRC so wanted to
> > discuss here as well.

I never used this, as we are mainly on chan_pjsip. So sounds good to me to remove it, if its also has architectural issues etc..

> Apologies - I realized after initially commenting on the PR that I could have stated
> my objection immediately rather than direct you here.
>
> I and my users are using users.conf for nearly every install and removing support
> for it would be disruptive to 100s of installs. I've also had some people reach out
> to me off-list expressing their concerns with it being removed. I am willing to take
> over all support for users.conf going forward. I can update the module deprecation
> pageĀ¹ indicating I am the maintainer.
>
> If the deprecation warning remains I would need to be able to silence it with a
> command line flag or an option in asterisk.conf.

Can you share more details why you depend on this functionality? Maybe these requirements could be (re-)introduced in a more standardized and better architected way? Maybe they are already available in another form?

Cheers,

Henning