[asterisk-dev] Deprecating users.conf

Jaco Kroon jaco at uls.co.za
Fri Jun 30 07:32:06 CDT 2023

Hi,

On 2023/06/30 14:19, Sean Bright wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 6/30/2023 7:45 AM, asterisk at phreaknet.org wrote:
>> I've put up a PR to deprecate users.conf[1], following a
>> discussion earlier this year about this, but I think that was on IRC so
>> wanted to discuss here as well.
> Apologies - I realized after initially commenting on the PR that I could have stated my objection immediately rather than direct you here.
>
> I and my users are using users.conf for nearly every install and removing support for it would be disruptive to 100s of installs. I've also had some people reach out to me off-list expressing their concerns with it being removed. I am willing to take over all support for users.conf going forward. I can update the module deprecation page¹ indicating I am the maintainer.
>
> If the deprecation warning remains I would need to be able to silence it with a command line flag or an option in asterisk.conf.
>
> Kind regards,
> Sean

I don't have a specific objection against removal, we used this instead
of dahdi.conf since we could get stuff working for dahdi channels that
we could not get working in dahdi.conf.

Can't remember the details but it has remained.  Fairly certain that I
can dig that up again, and either get it migrated or can make a plan to
get it sorted so that we can support it.

Kind Regards,
Jaco