[asterisk-dev] Issue with PJSIP contacts being "unavailable"

asterisk at phreaknet.org asterisk at phreaknet.org
Tue Jun 27 17:18:51 CDT 2023

On 6/27/2023 6:07 PM, Joshua C. Colp wrote:

> I'm not sure what exactly you are referring to with "using the
> transport used for registration". If "rewrite_contact" is set to yes
> then the existing active connection should get used. If you are
> referring to Asterisk establishing a new outgoing connection to the
> registered Contact, then as long as it is optional and doesn't break
> other behavior fine.

Basically, suppose a device registers on a port, associated with some
configured transport.

The reason I'm doing this now is that initially, calls out *to* devices
would just use the default transport (the first one configured, or
something like that). Specifying a transport= in the endpoint explicitly
ensured they'd only use the appropriate one. The problem still remains
though that we don't necessarily know what transport a device is going
to use in advance, and it could also change at any time.

  I don't know if this would be a "new" outgoing connection to the
contact or not... I was noticing this issue with outbound calls to
devices using the wrong transport (e.g. an ATA registered using TLS, and
Asterisk would call the device using UDP, on a different port). The
description for "rewrite_contact" says "Allow Contact header to be
rewritten with the source IP address-port" which doesn't really clarify
that, but if that means it'll always use the same transport out to the
device that the device initiated a connection on, no matter what, then I
think that will do the trick. I just want Asterisk to go along with
whatever the device wants to do. If there's a gap with "rewrite_contact"
then I guess a new option is still needed to do the other half.