[asterisk-dev] Documentation: The Next Generation

George Joseph gjoseph at sangoma.com
Tue Jul 11 15:23:29 CDT 2023

I've just pushed up a new branch to the asterisk/documentation  repo named
'main-no-mike'.  If you've been paying attention you'll know that 'mike'
was the package we were using to handle the dynamic version-specific
documentation.  It kinda worked but was also a royal pain so this new
branch contains the following:

* 'mike' has been eliminated from the build process.  The site now
  looks much like the original wiki with the version-specific
  documentation listed in the left nav bar.

* The latest version of mkdocs is now used which enables the
  navigation.prune option.  This option reduces the site of the
  static pages from 420M to 185M and the total site from well over
  4G to 570M.

* A new plugin 'awesome-pages' has been added which, among other
  things, allows us to set the order of items in the left nav bar.

* The Makefile has been substantially overhauled.

* The README.md has been substantially updated.

* The 'What's New" and "Upgrading to <branch>" pages have been
  retrieved from the old wiki are now available.

That branch isn't live yet so if you want to see what's going on before it
does, check that branch out and read the README.

I'll also be replying in the "other" email thread.
--
George Joseph
Asterisk Software Developer