[asterisk-dev] Tons of warnings compiling Asterisk 16.24.1

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at sangoma.com
Tue May 10 07:21:15 CDT 2022

On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 9:10 AM Dennis Buteyn <dennis.buteyn at xorcom.com>
wrote:

> Noticed a ton of warnings (-Wformat-truncation, -Wunused-result,
> -Wstringop-overflow, -Wstringop-truncation, -Wlto-type-mismatch,
> -Wfree-nonheap-object, -Warray-bounds) compiling Asterisk 16.24.1 on the
> few compilers I tried:
>
> gcc (Debian 8.3.0-6) 8.3.0
> gcc (Debian 10.2.1-6) 10.2.1 20210110
> gcc (Ubuntu 7.5.0-3ubuntu1~18.04) 7.5.0
> gcc (Ubuntu 9.4.0-1ubuntu1~20.04.1) 9.4.0
> gcc (Ubuntu 11.2.0-7ubuntu2) 11.2.0
>
> Just curious if anyone is aware of these warnings and whether they have
> been resolved in later revisions.

Are these the default warning options when built in developer mode? If so,
then we take care of them as soon as we become aware - and we just did a
batch of GCC12 fixes to take care of the latest ones. Otherwise you'd need
to be more specific about what exactly is showing them. For example, if
it's PJSIP ones we generally don't touch it and such fixes would need to go
upstream. If these are options you've set, then we wouldn't have seen them.

--
Joshua C. Colp
Asterisk Technical Lead