[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Project Infrastructure Future

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at sangoma.com
Mon Jun 20 04:14:50 CDT 2022

Kia ora,

As everyone is most likely aware the Atlassian stack that the Asterisk
project uses is effectively discontinued, as Atlassian pushes everyone to
the cloud. For a few reasons this isn't viable for the project (age of our
stack, user limit in cloud, work required to replicate needed
functionality) so we looked at other hosted solutions instead to move to.
We chose hosted to reduce the amount of involvement and work needed by the
Asterisk team at Sangoma. Right now we're the team who administer and keep
everything going which takes up time that could be used elsewhere. After
evaluating[1] the two most popular choices, Github and Gitlab, we've opted
to go for Github which I'm sure will also not be a surprise to anyone. I've
put together an overview page[2] of how things will generally work. I don't
currently have a time frame on when the move will occur, but expect it to
start in a few months or sooner. Once we do start the transition there will
be opportunities for people to help with the process and the move will also
allow easier contributions for improving process in the future.

Stay tuned for future emails regarding this, and for right now things
continue as they are.

Cheers,

[1]
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Trade+Study:+Github+vs.+Gitlab