[asterisk-dev] Asterisk External Application Protocol

Kevin Harwell kharwell at sangoma.com
Fri Feb 4 12:18:27 CST 2022

Greetings,

There has already been some good discussion about the new speech to text
stuff [1], but as things begin to solidify I want to discuss the basic
protocol some more.

We've named it the Asterisk External Application Protocol (AEAP). For this
first version of the protocol we want to ensure that it's 1) simple, 2)
adaptable, and 3) generic. To those points while speech to text will be the
first use case implemented, we're hoping if the need arises this protocol
can be used for other things.

https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+External+Application+Protocol

After implementing a very simple external application that uses the
protocol, and reading some of the feedback from the other thread [1] I
think it could use a few minor changes:

* Only send the version in the initial "setup" request. I don't really see
a reason to send it in every message.
* In responses change "status" to a number/code. As brought up in the
previous discussion [2] this would allow for response handlers to key off
that value.
* In the "setup" and "set" responses drop the "params" field. In the
response they don't seem useful. Either they were set successfully, or they
weren't. If they weren't then an error is returned instead.

Any agreements/disagreements? Any other ideas or thoughts? Keep in mind
that for this first version minimal is better. It's easy to add a field
later if we need it vs removing an unused one.

Thanks!

[1] http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2021-March/078244.html
[2] http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2021-March/078258.html

--