[asterisk-dev] Text-to-Speech and Speech-to-Text

Benjamin Fitzgerald ben at letscorp.us
Mon Mar 22 15:37:02 CDT 2021

Hi Ben,

I'm really excited to see this and wanted to bring up a couple use-cases
that we have implemented to see if it's something you think aligns with the
goals of the Asterisk implementation. We primarily do real time
speech-to-text for calls or conferences however a big limitation with
Asterisk and Speech APIs is speaker diarization. We have gotten around this
with phone calls by assigning each party of the call to the left and right
channel of a stereo recording, which some Speech APIs support. However,
this is inadequate for multi-party conferences. Being able to use this new
speech to text feature on a particular channel, and then including that
channel ID in the protocol would be helpful. Or perhaps even better,
support a generic user_data JSON property for us to pass custom application
specific data to the external applicatication.

I think another interesting use case would be real-time translation of a
phone call. For example, if the external application was receiving audio
from Asterisk and then sending back audio that's been translated to another
language, it would be very powerful. The audio could be sent to a separate
channel so that speakers of different languages could hear what was being
said without a translator.

Lastly, I'd love some clarification on the intended use cases of this
versus the Audio_Socket Application and EAGI, perhaps those are the more
appropriate tools for these use cases.

Benjamin Fitzgerald

ᐧ
ᐧ