[asterisk-dev] Stir Shaken

George Joseph gjoseph at sangoma.com
Thu Jun 24 09:07:11 CDT 2021

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 2:04 AM John T. Bittner <john at xaccel.net> wrote:

> Hello All,
>

> As a voip provider we are in the process of getting our own token and cert.
>
> We got our OCN and did all the other FCC requirements.
>
> We are at the point of working with iconectiv to get our token.
>
> Based on the info we have after we get the token we go to neustar to get
> our cert.
>

> Iconectiv are asking a lot of questions on how we are going to get certs
> out of there api’s ? This is confusing me, I was under impression that we
> get the cert from neustar.
>
> I have spent hours reading many things about stir shaken and a lot of it
> is contradicting. I also can’t find anything on the asterisk setup were we
> would even configure api information to connect to iconectiv.
>
> Our SBC’s are asterisk based so we would like to implement this directly
> on these servers.
>

> Do I need middleman software to get this to work.

It's hard to tell.  With only a first glance at iconectiv's web pages, it
doesn't look like they're involved on a call-by-call basis so I'm not sure
what APIs they're talking about.  Can you point us to any specific
documentation?

> Last question…  We do a lot of call forwarding and passthrough caller id.
>
> Is there any method to allow this with Stir Shaken ?

It's funny but only yesterday we were complaining to each other internally
about support for this being not well defined.  The incoming Identity
header contains the destination telephone number so you can't just forward
that header on to another destination so we're not sure what to do.  We'll
be having more discussions about this in the future I'm sure.

> In the past we were told we cannot do this anymore but I read that they
> changed some rules to allow this but the article didn’t go into detail on
> how.

Do you have a link?

> In the interim we have a workaround via android and ios apps that will
> send notification of the passthrough callerid info before there phone rings.

Yeah that works when you have control over the destination user agent.  I'm
not sure what we're going to do in the other case.