[asterisk-dev] func_odbc auto commit at answer time

Dennis Buteyn dennis.buteyn at xorcom.com
Sun Feb 21 05:46:53 CST 2021

On 2/19/21 1:03 PM, Jaco Kroon wrote:

<snip>

> The specific ODBC connection here is merely used for inserting "traces"
> into the database, so exactly this:
>
> [trace]
> dsn=ulsdb
> synopsis=Add a trace onto an existing call.
> syntax=[<level>]=<message>
> writesql=INSERT INTO calltrace(uniqueid, message, level)
> VALUES('${SQL_ESC(${UNIQUEID})}', '${SQL_ESC(${VALUE})}',
> '${IF($[${ARGC}>0]?${SQL_ESC(${ARG1})}:user)}')
>
> (Relies on patch mentioned in my point 1 for ARG1 to work correctly when
> not supplied)
>
> The table itself:
>
> CREATE TABLE `calltrace` (
>    `uniqueid` varchar(64) NOT NULL,
>    `level` enum('user','admin','system') NOT NULL DEFAULT 'user',
>    `tracetime` datetime(3) NOT NULL DEFAULT current_timestamp(3),
>    `message` varchar(1024) NOT NULL,
>    KEY `uniqueid` (`uniqueid`),
>    KEY `tracetime` (`tracetime`)
> ) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1
>
> So we'll do stuff like Set(ODBC_trace(user)=Received call from
> ${CALLERID(all)} to ${EXTEN}) in the dialplan for critical decision
> points.  The other option is to log this to a file and to post-load it
> into the database.  Really doesn't matter that much, and if it goes
> lost, it's not the end of the world, but the above just makes it simpler
> and more real time, allows us to use concurrent inserts.
>
> For any given uniqueid it's seldom that there are more than 30 entries
> generated, around 20 or so on average, we currently dealt with this by
> reducing the amount of logging, so whilst not all of it is strictly
> required, it's useful stuff to be able to enable support personnel to
> not have to bug the system administrators, and even to users to not need
> to log stuff to support to begin with.
>
> The other func odbc queries are almost all select queries, and are very
> well cached, in critical cases into astdb too.  Those never cause
> issues, and even when the INSERTs are problematic continue to operate
> correctly.  The above basically just starts slowing down because of the
> implicit COMMIT, with the above as a transaction it works very well
> overall, the transaction connection just gets held up for the duration
> of the call, but it does lower the commit rate from 50-100 (and higher
> in extreme cases) to 5-10 average.  We can start seeing the effects of
> the forced disk IO around 75 odd COMMIT/s, and annoying slowdown beyond
> that.
>
> One do need to be aware that READ queries are issued on handles
> different than the WRITE queries, since the the _read function doesn't
> take res_odbc_transaction into consideration (which arguably it should
> but that has zero effect for my use case, in fact, as you point out it
> may actually be bad for my use case).
>
>> Without diving deep into transactions, it sounds like your dialplan is
>> doing lots of small modifications during the call. Databases like
>> doing things in bulk, so perhaps collecting changes in channel
> [...]

There's no way to really do bulk inserts without resorting to tricks
like "insert (a, b, c) values ($ARG1), ($ARG2), ($ARG3), ..." which in
practice is not very useful. I don't think func_odbc is a good fit for
what you are trying to do. As you've experienced, there is a limit to
how many individual insert queries one can make before a database gives
up (technically, the drives are the bottleneck here). Transactions allow
bundling many inserts together but due to the length of most calls,
keeping transactions open for the entire call duration is not a good
idea because of issues I mentioned previously.

Most dialplan applications work synchronously. They have to, func_odbc
is no exception to that. Adding asynchronous capabilities to func_odbc
is interesting, but will add lots of complexity. Asynchronous reads
simply won't work because the dialplan needs those values /now/, not
later. Asynchronous writes, maybe. But who are you going to notify when
writes fail? The originating channel may already be gone by then. And
what if somewhere later on the dialplan tries to read the values that
were written asynchronously? Now you need some kind of lock or barrier
to make sure old values are not being read. Things go down hill really fast.

Instead of making Asterisk perform all the heavy-lifting. What about
offloading to a dedicated logging process/server? You could issue an AMI
UserEvent() whenever you want to log something and have something else
pick up these events and write them to the database. AMI events are
always asynchronous, the dialplan will never stall out. The logging
process/server can take as long as it needs to write everything to the
database without affecting call performance. Implementing bulk writes
would be trivial (ie. write every 1000 events or every second, whichever
comes first, as a single transaction).

--
Dennis Buteyn
Xorcom Ltd