[asterisk-dev] Module Deprecation, Default Not Building, and Removal

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at sangoma.com
Thu Oct 1 09:34:48 CDT 2020

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 11:32 AM Seán C McCord <ulexus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu Oct 1, 2020 at 10:22 AM EDT, Jared Smith wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 10:04 AM Joshua C. Colp <jcolp at sangoma.com>
> > OK, thanks for the clarification. Consider me in favor of the process as
> > you outlined it, and also in favor of a more aggressive stance on
> > deprecation of modules that obviously aren't being heavily
> > used/maintained.
>
> I, too, am in favour of this formalization.  My only comment is that it
> seems to me that default-enabled being turned off would seem to come before
> deprecation.  I can see the other side, though.

I pondered that once, but I think to the user base it would be too much of
a drastic change. I think of it as a gradual nudging essentially. Changing
to deprecated and notes being informational for planning, default enabled
being an interrupt to actually do something. Of course there will still be
individuals who don't see this stuff - but one can only do so much.

--
Joshua C. Colp
Asterisk Technical Lead