[asterisk-dev] Module Deprecation, Default Not Building, and Removal

Jared Smith jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net
Thu Oct 1 09:01:29 CDT 2020

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 9:20 AM Joshua C. Colp <jcolp at sangoma.com> wrote:

> 1. All the changes listed below initially occur in standard releases - in
> my opinion beginning the process to remove a module is a big thing and we
> should gradually introduce it, gaining feedback from those who run standard
> releases first.
> 2. The first step is marking a module as deprecated and occurs for 1
> standard release and 1 LTS release
> 3. The second step is marking a module as defaultenabled no which means it
> will not be built by default. This occurs for 1 standard release and 1 LTS
> release
> 4. The third step is removing the module
> 5. There will be a wiki page to keep track of all modules which are in the
> process of being removed
> 6. When a new LTS branch is created the master branch becomes eligible
> again for changing the state of modules, a reminder can be done as part of
> cutting the LTS branch
>
> Thoughts?

I'm fine with the process you propose -- it's roughly the same process
we've discussed each year at AstriDevCon for the past several years.  But
in addition to the process, I think we actually need follow-through as
well.  I feel (for better or for worse) that most Asterisk developers have
been in agreement on the process for years now, but little actual work to
deprecate modules (other the obvious chan_sip and "deprecate the dialplan"
discussions) has been done.

Other than the chan_sip changes, have any other modules been marked as
deprecated, or set to "defaultenabled no"?  Maybe there is a bunch and I've
just missed them...

-Jared